Quantcast

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Pre Pub Book Buzz: Y is for... by Sue Grafton

Holy moly it's almost time for another Kinsey Millhone mystery! Of course that means we'll be one more title closer to the series ending, which makes me sad. But I still can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Here's a bit about the book from Goodreads:

The darkest and most disturbing case report from the files of Kinsey Millhone, Y begins in 1979, when four teenage boys from an elite private school sexually assault a fourteen-year-old classmate—and film the attack. Not long after, the tape goes missing and the suspected thief, a fellow classmate, is murdered. In the investigation that follows, one boy turns state’s evidence and two of his peers are convicted. But the ringleader escapes without a trace.

Now, it’s 1989 and one of the perpetrators, Fritz McCabe, has been released from prison. Moody, unrepentant, and angry, he is a virtual prisoner of his ever-watchful parents—until a copy of the missing tape arrives with a ransom demand. That’s when the McCabes call Kinsey Millhone for help. As she is drawn into their family drama, she keeps a watchful eye on Fritz. But he’s not the only one being haunted by the past. A vicious sociopath with a grudge against Millhone may be leaving traces of himself for her to find…

Oooooh, the darkest and most disturbing!? I've fangirled over this series since the blog started, so hopefully each and every one of you has sought out Grafton's mysteries by now. But if you still haven't, Y isn't due out until August...

My bookseller pitch for these was always this: Sue Grafton said when she started the series, fresh off a divorce, all she could think about were all the ways she wanted to kill her ex. And so she began writing. 

The series is set in the 80s and features Kinsey Millhone, a clever and feisty PI with a penchant for quarter pounders and pb and pickle sandwiches. Each and every installment is brilliantly plotted - trust me, when I began them my senior year in high school I'd start one at midnight and turn in around 2 or 3 am when I'd finished, diving into the next one that very night! It's my very favorite series and while I used to have some comps (Linda Barnes, Jan Burke, and early Janet Evanovich), these days nothing new has come along to quite fill the Kinsey void that's coming. 

No comments: