Quantcast

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Resistance by Owen Sheers

Look what I found! Owen Sheers's Resistance has been on my must-read list for quite some time now. When I saw the trailer headline on IMDB last week, I knew it had to be one and the same.


This is a UK trailer, so I'm assuming the release date is also the UK date. Not sure when/if it will play in US theaters, but I do know I'll be putting it in my rental queue as soon as I have the option!

Here's a bit about the book if you aren't familiar with it (I don't think it made a big splash when it was released, but, like I said, it was on my radar and it did earn a starred review in PW):

1944. After the fall of Russia and the failed D-Day landings, a German counter-attack lands on British soil. Within a month, half of Britain is occupied.

Sarah Lewis, a 26-year-old farmer’s wife, wakes to find her husband Tom has disappeared. She is not alone. All the other women in the isolated Welsh border valley of Olchon also wake to find their husbands gone. With this sudden and unexplained absence the women regroup as an isolated, all-female community and wait, hoping for news.

A German patrol arrives in the valley, the purpose of their mission a mystery. When a severe winter forces the two groups into co-operation, a fragile mutual dependency develops. Sarah begins a faltering acquaintance with the patrol’s commanding officer, Albrecht Wolfram. But as the pressure of the war beyond presses in on them, the valley’s delicate state of harmony is increasingly threatened, before being broken completely, with devastating consequences.

I didn't realize it had been out for quite this long. Hopefully the film will get the book a bit more attention. I'm going to have to read it before I see the movie, but I have to say I'm very much looking forward to the flick now as well.

No comments: