Quantcast

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Soul Thief - Jana Oliver

I gave myself a week. One week. I made myself wait seven days to read the sequel to The Demon Trapper's Daughter and it was hard. I LOVED Demon Trapper's Daughter and every book I read after that, I was pretty much consumed by getting back to the series. I know. Now I have to wait until next spring to find out what happens next!

Soul Thief picks up right where Demon Trapper leaves off (beware of spoilers if you haven't read Demon Trapper yet). Riley made a deal with heaven to save her boyfriend who is now on the way to recovery, but not quite himself. And now, Riley has to find out who raised her father. With the help of Mort, a necro with morals, she's on a mission to track down the illegal summoner and free her father. Meanwhile, the Vatican is none too happy with the events at The Tabernacle. The demon hunters have made it their mission to clean up Atlanta and they don't care which trappers they step on in the process.

Some big stuff happens in this one and I can't tell you or I'd ruin the surprise :) We wouldn't want that, would we? I can tell that I'll be first in line to buy the new installment when it's released. Agh!

Riley is one of my favorite new characters. She's stubborn and smart, and of course there's something more to her that we've yet to learn. I also love Beck. And Mort. And the little klepto demon! In fact, all the little details that Oliver has thrown in here are fantastic. The depth of the setting is amazing and another big draw for me with this series.

It's easy to forget that this is a teen read while in the midst of the story. Saying that, and not being a parent, I'd assume the audience is on the older teen range given that Riley is 17 herself. All I know is that it reads fine from this adult's perspective!

No comments: