Quantcast

Monday, May 16, 2011

An Apocalypse to Lighten the Mood

Yeah, the only lightening up I did in my weekend reading, was to tackle a teen read. Subject-wise, still dark. Not a bad thing, though! I'll probably binge on chick-lit at some point, but I don't have any issue with continuing onto new, dark, fast-paced reads like Lauren DeStefano's teen debut, Wither.

And it's not really a post-apocalyptic book, to be precise. It's more of a post-outbreak/genetic disaster plot.

In the future, genetic manipulation has led to a stronger, healthier generation of children. But the life expectancy rates have taken a dive. Girls only live to be twenty and boys live to twenty-five. For years, scientists have searched for a solution, but many believe there's no hope. Sixteen-year-old twins, Rhine and Rowan, have been taking care of each other since their parents were killed. But when Rhine is kidnapped and forced to marry a wealthy Florida man, Rowan is left alone. Rhine can think of nothing other than escape and from day one, she begins to hatch a plan. In spite of the comforts offered to a girl in her position, Rhine is unwilling to be a token wife on the arm of some stranger.

I read Wither in one afternoon and knew that I was going to be on the edge of my seat when I turned the last page. It's the first in a projected trilogy and I'm dying to know what will happen next! But, we'll all have to wait. Book two in the Chemical Garden trilogy, Fever, is due out in February of next year.

And yes, Wither is a teen read, but one that definitely appeals to an adult market as well considering themes and characters. Now I'll have to see if my seesters agree with me!

No comments: