Quantcast

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Favorites

I'm working on my list of Top Ten for the bookbitch, and it's super tough. Course it is every year. I keep a running list of books that stand out for me, and my method for narrowing it down this year was to limit the number of each genre/subgenre that appears on the list.

There were so many fantastic books, though, that I wanted to share the pre-narrowed list here with you. And aside from these, there were many, many other great reads this year that I hope to eventually showcase here on the blog. My intention is to share with you all of the books that I enjoy, so take this list as just a small example of 2009's amazing releases!

These are in no particular order, except possibly by the date that I read them:

Never Tell A Lie by Hallie Ephron (thriller -- debut)
Three Weeks to Say Goodbye by CJ Box (thriller)
Silent on the Moor by Deanna Raybourn (gothic mystery)
The Little Sleep by Paul Tremblay (PI mystery -- debut)
Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (horror)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (teen horror -- debut)
The Tricking of Freya by Christina Sunley (lit fic -- debut)
In the Dark by Brian Freeman (thriller)
The Keeper of Light and Dust by Natasha Mostert (thriller)
Darling Jim by Christian Moerk (gothic/lit fic)
Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow (teen paranormal)
Bad Things by Michael Marshall (thriller)
The Unseen by Alexandra Sokoloff (horror)
The Rapture by Liz Jensen (thriller)
A Quiet Belief in Angels by RJ Ellory (mystery)
The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny (mystery)
Soulless by Gail Carriger (paranormal -- debut)
Audrey's Door by Sarah Langan (horror)
The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber (paranormal -- debut)
Vengeance Road by Rick Mofina (thriller)
The Cutting by James Hayman (thriller -- debut)
Lust Loathing and a Little Lip Gloss by Kyra Davis (mystery)
Bloody Good by Georgia Evans (paranormal)
Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (paranormal -- debut)
Under the Dome by Stephen King (horror)

As of today, I have read 150 books in 2009, so you can see how hard it would be to narrow the list of favorites to 25, and then to narrow that list to 10. Agh! And the year's not up yet. I expect that given the extra month, this list could grow by at least 5-10 more titles.

Anywho, you can check Bookbitch.com to see the narrowed list (like I said, I narrowed according to how many times the genre/subgenre was represented on the list already) tough and I hate cutting anything. Not sure when the finished lists will be posted, but I'll be submitting mine this evening (and hopefully not making major changes to it, though it's going to be hard!).

5 comments:

kyradavis said...

Wow! What an amazing honor to even be considered for this list! Is this like the Academy Awards in that I have to campaign for a place on the top ten? JK ;)

Anyway, I really am glad you enjoyed my latest book and I hope the next one doesn't disappoint!

Becky LeJeune said...

Kyra, I can't wait! I absolutely love the series!

Cheryl said...

Great list. More books to add to my wish list

Leanna Renee Hieber said...

WOW - Thanks Becky!! I'll be mentioning this on my blog (where I've posted the sequel's cover!) and my Strangely Beautiful facebook page - thanks so much for making my day!

Vickie said...

Good reading this year! I always look to you for additions to the WWBL.