Quantcast

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hi, Everyone!

Just a quick blog today, sorry about no post yesterday. I am in the wrapping up stages of my fourth b&b cookbook and have set a deadline to turn it in on Monday. So, still lots to do. 

Mike is getting home from NY tonight and then leaving again on Friday to go to Sundance. I'm hoping I can get enough done to feel comfortable taking tomorrow off and that is why the short post today and no post yesterday.

I did take a brief break last nigh to go see Slumdog Millionaire. I had hoped to go to the Scott Sigler signing in Denver but as I don't really go to Denver all that often, was not too keen to navigate downtown all by my lonesome and deal with parking. I wish it had been at the newer store and then that wouldn't have been an issue. Oh well. 

So, at 7:30 I headed over to the movie theater to see what I hoped would be a great flick to improve my mood. And it was. I love Danny Boyle. With the exception of Trainspotting (which I read but cannot watch) I think I have seen every one of Boyle's films (every one available in the States that is) and I love them all. 

If you haven't seen Slumdog yet, here's a bit about it. Dev Patel plays Jamal, an 18-year-old who makes it onto the hit gameshow Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Time runs out just before the final question and in the interim, Jamal is arrested and questioned out of suspicion of cheating. After all, how could a poor boy from the slums of Mumbai possibly know the answers to all the questions. No one ever makes it as far as he did. Through flashbacks, we find that each questions has something to do with Jamal's past, a past intertwined with that of Latika (played by Frieda Pinto) his true love. In getting on the show, Jamal's one hope was that she would be watching. 

Patel also stars in the UK show Skins. This is Frieda Pinto's first role. 

It's a great movie with a great story that only varies somewhat (from what I've read) from the book it is based on, Q&A by Vikas Swarup. Everyone should see it. For once, I agree with all the awards and critical praise that a movie is getting. Go see it!

Anyway, I got home around 10-ish and worked until 12:30 and then read until 2 and am totally beat. BUT, I have to much to do to slack off today. 

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Before your review, I had absolutely no desire to see this movie. Now I do. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie! I almost never see movies anymore, as I always leave wishing I had those two hours back, but this movie was certainly worth a visit to the theater. Great review...