Quantcast

Thursday, November 6, 2008

On the fence

I am on the fence about what to post today. Do I post a review of Crichton, an homage to all his great books that I loved? Nah. You can find info on him pretty much everywhere right now. Do I post about the book I was going to post about before I heard about Crichton? Decided not to simply because I'm a bit miffed about my real work at the moment and so am having a hard time being excited about stuff in general (and thanks to the 100 people or so that I called last week, 95% of which missed their freaking deadlines!). 

So, I finally made up my mind and decided to do a sort-of cop out post today. Normally I like to post about things I've read. Things I can make a solid recommendation for because I have first hand knowledge that it's good. Today, I'm going to post about an upcoming title that's being touted as "in the style of Michael Crichton." This way I get to do a Crichton post without doing a Crichton post and it is a book that I am excited to read. 

This January, Penguin is releasing Daemon a debut novel by Danial Suarez, a computer tech expert. Here's the PW review for you:

Originally self-published, Suarez's riveting debut would be a perfect gift for a favorite computer geek or anyone who appreciates thrills, chills and cyber suspense. Gaming genius Matthew Sobol, the 34-year-old head of CyberStorm Entertainment, has just died of brain cancer, but death doesn't stop him from initiating an all-out Internet war against humanity. When the authorities investigate Sobol's mansion in Thousand Oaks, Calif., they find themselves under attack from his empty house, aided by an unmanned Hummer that tears into the cops with staggering ferocity. Sobol's weapon is a daemon, a kind of computer process that not only has taken over many of the world's computer systems but also enlists the help of superintelligent human henchmen willing to carry out his diabolical plan. Complicated jargon abounds, but most complexities are reasonably explained. A final twist that runs counter to expectations will leave readers anxiously awaiting the promised sequel.

Suarez's novel is sitting on my TBR shelf, waiting expectantly for me to read it. I got it a bit by accident and seriously hope it lives up to the expectations. I'll definitely keep you guys posted on it. In the meantime, it's off to decide how best to nag the 95 people yet again. 

No comments: