Quantcast

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's the middle of the night and I should be asleep!

It's almost 12:30 and I should really be hitting the sack, but I have to get some reading done first. I say this, but really I just finished reading a book literally minutes ago. It's just that I feel more productive if I have a book going when I hit the pillow. I can't explain it.

It's a heavy week for me considering the fact that I still have so much to finish on the Georgia book before I can start the Florida book - I had hoped I would get a pretty good response to the requests for submissions that I sent out, but I was wrong. This means I have at least 2-3 weeks of calls hounding people for recipes ahead of me, something I don't even want to think about until GA gets turned in to the designer in June.

My review list this week isn't so bad, but next week is pretty packed, plus I have some books that I really want to get to asap (the May discussion book for one of the shelfari groups being one of them!).

As soon as I wrap this blog up, I'll be starting Lisa Jackson's latest title, Lost Souls. It'll be my first one of hers and I am really looking forward to it. I hope it's a real page-turner, too!

I spent this evening (minus a break for Samantha Who) reading Karen Harrington's Janeology. It was quite an interesting read. The main theme of the story is the question of nature versus nurture. A woman drowns her son and her daughter just barely survives. A year later, her husband is being brought to trial on the charge of partial negligence. The court feels that he should have known his wife was sick and that she was a possible danger to her children. The defense plans to prove that the wife was genetically disposed to committing the crime based on her family's history. It's a thought-provoking read, made that much more interesting to me thanks to my CJUS degree (something you didn't know, right? Yep, I have a B.S, in CJUS with minors in English and Anthropology - no, I don't want to be a lawyer and I don't read true crime). I thought Harrington dealt with her subject matter in a very compelling way. It's a touchy subject to be sure, but it wasn't at all a hard read.

The publisher of this title, Kunati, looks to be a pretty interesting house in and of itself. Based on their other catalog titles, they definitely make a point of publishing titles with similarly compelling topics as subjects. In fact, their tag line is "Provocative. Bold. Controversial." Some of their other titles are Madicine and The Game by Kunati publisher Derek Armstrong, Recycling Jimmy by Andy Tilley, and Miracle Myx by Dave Diotalevi, amongst others. Kunati falls under my list of small publishers you should check out and Harrington is definitely one author you should be on the lookout for.

1 comment:

Karen Harrington said...

Hope you don't mind if I drop a little Muchas Gracias here for your generous words and review. My publisher was pretty pleased to see my name and BookBitch in the same sentence. (Hmmm...wonder if I misinterpreted that.)

Anyway, thanks a ton!

Karen